Warm, damp weather can often be the cause of breakouts, especially for those who aren’t used to it. If you live somewhere where the summers are humid, or plan on taking a vacation somewhere tropical, make sure you follow these tips to keep your skin looking balanced and healthy, even as the humidity rises.
By Kris Gucker
- Makeup on Point: Warm, humid weather can cause pores to open and then become clogged if covered with heavy makeup. To avoid this, choose a lighter foundation and always remove makeup at the end of the day so it isn’t pressed into the skin as you sleep.
- Don’t Forget the SPF: Sun protection is even more important in humid environments. Make sure to keep up on your application every four hours. Ideally, you’ll want to wear a mineral sunscreen and not a chemical one. You probably also want one that’s reef safe, especially if you are in the tropics to enjoy the ocean.
- Cleanse More Often: Humid weather causes debris, makeup, and dead cells to cling to the surface of the skin, making it more likely to cause irritation or clog pores. It is recommended to cleanse at least twice a day, and you may need to do so even more often. We recommend our Advanced Calming & Soothing Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, which helps alleviate irritation and is gentle enough to be used more often without stripping skin of essential moisture.
- Exfoliate Thoroughly: As mentioned above, dead cells can stick to the skin more readily when it’s damp out. You can use a scrub to remove this dead layer or a chemical solution such as Retinol or an AHA. Our Advanced Anti-Aging Retinol + c-PDRN® Serum not only helps exfoliate, but also supports collagen production to keep pores closed and avoid acne-causing infection. c-PDRN® supports the skin’s healing process to alleviate any irritation that has already occurred.
- Prioritize Sleep: One of the best ways to combat skin issues is a healthy night’s sleep. You should also be sure to clean bed linens and pillowcases regularly, as these may accumulate sweat and bacteria in more tropical climates.
- You Are What You Eat: What you put into your body also has an effect on your complexion. Be sure to stay hydrated and avoid greasy foods in favor of fruits and vegetables.
- Make the Most of It: Use masks after cleansing for more intensive concentrated treatment that stops irritation before it starts. Try our nutrient-rich Healer Healing Mask to re-balance and treat the skin with a concentrated burst of c-PDRN® and other calming and healing actives.
- A Touch of Care: Try not to touch your face if you can avoid it. Oil from your fingers or dirt from anything else you’ve touched may cause havoc for your skin. Washing hands or using hand sanitizer will help in case you do touch your face.
- Tone and Refresh: Toners help support skin’s natural moisture with healthy, clean, and nutrient-rich hydration. Our Healer Rebalancing Toner does all this while also providing support to the skin’s natural healing process and gently exfoliating with PHAs.
- Keep Moisturized: Just as a wet sponge can’t absorb more water, when your skin is saturated with healthy clean moisture, it can’t absorb sweat or water from the environment that may contain pollutants or irritants. Rejuran® Healer Nutritive Cream provides complete hydration without feeling greasy or weighed down.
So that’s it! By following these 10 steps, you can ensure your skin looks incredible all season (or vacation) long and you can enjoy the sun, waves, or just being outdoors!